Reflections and Resolutions

via

How does the saying go again? A new year, new me? Sounds about right. I know everyone says this every year and nothing really changes. But I think that for once this is actually true for me. 

After moving out of my family home and straight into living on my own in London and having no one who previously knew me around, I found that I have become a completely different person. 
It's not that I wasn't myself before, it's more that the way I see the world and the things and people in it has changed. 

I feel as though I am a lot more open minded to things, especially in regards to subjects such as racism, religion, etc - which is a major issue in my hometown at the moment. 
I am finding that while I am happy to have a civilized conversation about current world events and am able to be respectful towards others should their opinions differ to mine, a lot of my friends back home aren't exactly open to those conversations and struggle to show me the same respect back. 

I also feel as though through having to fend for myself, learn who is okay for you to trust when you have no one else and exercise my independence for the past 18 months, I have some what greatly matured. I feel like I have had my fun, and am ready for the next stage of my life. 

This past year has been one big whirlwind. I got to travel and explore Europe and the UK, finally see my family again and be accepted into my dream university course - just to name a few highlights. Thank you to all the amazing people who contributed in some way to what was one of the greatest years of my life. 

I guess now the reflections are over and done with, I can get to my resolutions and what I hope to achieve by the end of this year. 

1. As usual, at the top of everyone's list is to lose weight. But this has to happen this year, for my career, my health and my happiness. Even just 5kgs and I'll be happy. 

2. I hope to pass my first year of university. 

3. Run 3 kilometers without stopping. 

4. Make new friends. 

5. Save money to go travelling again - I know, I know but I've got the travel bug bad! 

6. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a control freak and like being right just a little too much, so this year I want to learn to keep my thoughts to myself a bit more.

7. Stop swearing. 

There you have it, my reflections on the last year and my resolutions for the coming year. 
What are your reflections and resolutions? I'd love to hear in the comments. Wishing you all the best for the year ahead. Lot's of love, Jem xx