A London Love Affair


Hyde Park, London in Winter 15'.

 
Almost a year ago I decided that my life needed a change. And those who know me, know that I definitely don't do anything by halves. So on a very normal day in May, 2014, I did something so crazy it's almost unfathomable. And within 3 hours, I had booked a one way trip to London, got a job interview, a house to live in and quit my current job. Hard to believe I know but that's exactly how it happened! Three weeks later I said goodbye to my country town in Victoria, Australia and flew myself to the complete opposite side of the world. And honestly, it was the best decision I have EVER made.
 
I am a firm believer in that change is good. And I think that London life has changed me. I've learnt so many lessons and experienced so many different things that I could never have imagined. I have such a diverse group of friends who are all from different countries - mainly European. I have learnt about different religions and cultures and the differences between how I have been brought up and lived thus far compared to others. I have a lot more patience and respect for others, however I am also more outspoken about my feelings and will no longer let people walk all over me. I live with a brilliant group of Australians who are all doing the exact same thing as I am and who I know will always be there with a cheap bottle of wine when I've had a bad day. I have ticked off a couple of bucket list items and plan to check the rest off VERY soon.
 
However...
 
Do I constantly browse for return flights cheap enough for me to afford a visit home to see my family and friends on a minimum wage salary? Do I sometimes wonder what went through my head for me to think this was an okay and 'everyday' move to make? Do I make sure that my family and friends don't hang up the phone before saying 'I love you' because I am terrified something awful may happen and I will never see them again? The answer is obviously and easily yes to all of the above.
 
But if you were to ask me "Do you regret it?", you can bet my answer will be "HELL NO".
 
All in all, I have come to the conclusion that London is definitely the right city for me. I have fallen in love with the people, the culture, the gorgeous old buildings, the peaceful parks, the hidden gems and even dare I say it, the weather. And even more importantly although I have a sinking feeling that my time in this wondrous city may be almost up, for a unforgivingly short period of my life, London was my home, and a piece of my heart will always stay.